DistroKid cannot give tax advice, so we must state that this is not tax advice. Please consult a tax professional if you have any questions about the information here.
If your country of tax residency is not in the United States, up to 30% of your earnings may be subject to tax withholding. If there is a tax treaty between your country and the United States, and if you qualify for the benefits of that treaty, withholding may be reduced or eliminated.
Depending on the rules and regulations in your country of tax residence, you may be able to credit some or all of the United States tax withheld (if any) against your taxes.
A detailed list of applicable withholding rates per country can be found in the column labeled “Copyrights” here:
If there is a tax treaty between your country and the United States, and you wish to claim the treaty benefit of a reduced withholding rate, instructions for doing so are outlined below for your convenience.
These instructions don’t constitute tax advice. Please consult with your tax advisor before completing a tax form.
How to make a treaty claim on DistroKid's W8-BEN tax form
- Visit https://distrokid.com/tax, select your Country of Tax Residence from the dropdown menu, and click NEXT
- Provide your tax identifying number (this can be a US or Foreign tax identifying number or both)
- If your country of tax residency has a treaty with the United States, you are presented the option to claim treaty benefits in the "Claim of Treaty Benefits (Part II)" section
- After selecting your country of tax residency, you are able to complete the request to claim treaty benefits if you wish to do so
How to make a treaty claim on Tipalti's W8-BEN tax form
- Visit https://distrokid.com/payouts/ and confirm your DistroKid password
- Enter/confirm your contact information as they appear on your bank records, and click Next
- On Step 2, select your payment method (Direct Deposit/ACH, Wire Transfer, Check or PayPal. Note: Some payout methods may not be available to you based on your payment country). Click Next
- On Step 3, Select and complete the required Tax Forms. If you have questions, click "Need Help? Start the tax form questionnaire"
Note: If you have previously completed the tax form, you’ll see when that was submitted. To submit a new tax form, follow the link on the Tax Form Review page.
- Select Your Tax Form (W-8BEN/W-8BEN-E) and click Complete Form
- Complete the required fields, and provide your tax identifying number
- If your country of tax residency has a treaty with the United States, you are presented the option to claim treaty benefits in the "Claim of Treaty Benefits (Part II)" section, if you wish to do so